Find the perfect dog breed or puppy breed to match your lifestyle
Pastoral group: Highly active
- Bred to herd sheep, cattle and even reindeer, the pastoral group includes the Border Collie, Old English Sheepdog and Samoyed.
- They’re very loyal and are the happiest when they're doing something useful.
Utility group: Dogs who love to do jobs
- This mixed group is made up of dogs that were originally bred for very specific jobs.
- You’ll find some great personalities in this group, including Bulldogs, Schnauzers and Shih Tzus.
Toy group: Small dogs, big personalities
- If you want plenty of personality in a small package, this type is for you.
- From Yorkshire Terriers to Pomeranians, and Maltese to Pekingese, they’re lively and live happily in a smaller space.
Hound group: Dogs that love to seek things out
- From Dachshunds to Deerhounds, and Bassets to Beagles, hounds come in every size and shape.
- They’re all skilled at hunting using their eyes or their noses.
Working group: Search, rescue, and guard dogs
- Think Boxer, Mastiff, Husky, Rottweiler and St. Bernard. These dogs are never happier than when they're being useful.
- Train them well, and your family will have a friend and protector for life.
Terrier group: Assertive dogs
- These lively little dogs love to dig holes. They have a strong prey instinct and like to have the last word.
- Jack Russell, Fox Terrier or Staffordshire Bull Terrier could be just right for you, if you have plenty of space.
Gun dog group: Dogs who love to fetch
- Setters, Pointers, Labrador, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever and Spaniels were originally bred to help their owners when they went shooting.
- They're loyal, love to learn and are (almost) always eager to please. You only need to keep them well exercised.